COVID Safety Protocol
To maintain the health and safety of our runners, volunteers, and staff, we have created this safety protocol based on CDC guidelines for preventing the spread of COVID-19. By entering in our race, you agree to follow these rules.
• RACE DAY / START
• Athletes are encouraged, but not required, to wear face masks at all times except when running in the race. Your choice.
• Portalets will be spread out for social distancing in the lane adjacent to the start line.
• Athletes must line up by 6:55 am in the corrals in an assembly area in the lane adjacent to the start line.
• Athletes will be lined up by anticipated pace in rows with 7 feet between each athlete.
• All athletes will start in the lane immediately behind the start line and directed into position from the corrals.
• Please note: There are 2 different start times:
7:05 – Halfathon
7:21 – 10K & 5K
• Athletes in each race will have one common start, but athletes must walk to the actual start line, maintaining the 7 feet social distance until reaching the start line.
• All timing and scoring will be based on chip timing.
• RACE COURSE
• Our goal is to start athletes so you will initially become single file with options to pass.
• Athletes must run single-file and stay to the right at all times, except when passing.
• Passing is encouraged, but only when you can make it “stick.”
• Volunteers will place 8 oz bottles of water on a table for the athletes to self-serve.
• Athletes must use garbage boxes near aid stations for disposal of water bottles so that we don’t litter the park.
• FINISH LINE
• Athletes will self-serve 16 oz. bottled water immediately after the finish line.
• Volunteers will be on-hand to re-supply water bottles, finisher medals and Ts.
• POST RACE: FINISHER MEDALS / SHIRTS / FOOD & BEVERAGE
• Athletes can pick up their finisher medals, shirts, food and beverage in an area near the finish line.
• Food and beverage will be available in single-size packaging and will be 100% self-serve.
• Athletes can relax and recover under pavilions, at picnic tables, or on the grass near the finish line.
• Athletes SHOULD practice social distancing and personal hygiene at all times.
• We will not stage an awards presentation on-site.
• We will mail overall and age group awards to champions only.
• There will be hand sanitizer near the portalets, food, and beverage.
• All staff and volunteers will wear masks at all times.
• RACE T-SHIRTS
T-shirts will be available to athletes at the finish line AFTER the race. Please show bib at pickup.
Thank you for joining us and adhering to these safety protocols. Our goal is to keep ALL
participants safe while coming together to race.
“The race was very well executed! I felt safe. The water stops had closed water, hand sanitizer was out and you were not allowed to get your medals and stuff unless you had your mask. I would 💯 do it again.”
– R.B., Lakeland
Our 2021-22 Season
Fort De Soto Distance Classic
15K, 10K, 5K & Virtual
Sunday, September 26, 2021
Fort De Soto Park